Chinese-Forums

Panoramic pictures for vocabulary practice?

dreamon

Hello! When learning vocabulary and having a lesson with a tutor, it helps to bring a panoramic picture of some situation or activity, for example, cooking in the kitchen, or playing in the living room, or studying in school, or taking a walk in a park. The picture should be designed so that it has many easy-to-recognize common objects and some people engaged in common activities. Such pictures are sometimes found in books for little children. One can learn the vocabulary for the picture before the lesson, and then practice it with the tutor at the lesson - answering questions, telling short stories etc. So, my question: is there an online source for such pictures? Thank you!

I think it's a very good idea as I notice that in my language exchanges that inspiration is limited. It's hard just to make up something and we seem to return to the same subjects.

Maybe the formats are not really perfect but if I google cartoon with some random keyword it's rare if I don't get at least a couple of suitable pictures.

E.g for cartoon and family

@dreamon: some books have titles such as "first 1000 words". But these have few sample pages on the internet, even on amazon. Edit: for instance, First 1000 words in Chinese

Perhaps you could use images from the PEP school books.

For instance the 1st/2nd grade 品德与生活 ones have images of daily life activities for the kids to discuss.

The book "first 1000 words" is a good one, thanks! But how about online pictures? Useful when the tutor is online, and that book's selection is rather limited - there could be a richer site. Maybe someone who has preschool or primary-school children, or taught / supervised children, knows such a repository? Googling keeps turning up regular "funny" comics, cartoon-style logos, or female photos.

I have a Japanese-Chinese book that does almost exactly what you seek - it has very nicely drawn scenes of various everyday scenes and objects and the Japanese and Chinese words them, plus short dialogues, all in a handy pocketbook format. I bought it in Hongkong but it's a Taiwanese publication. Too bad I seem to have misplaced it at the moment.

Found it, it's 圖解日語單字王. Check out the sample pages. Maybe you can find a Chinese-English equivalent.

Thank you, creamyhorror, I will take a look (so far no luck with a non-Japanese equivalent). Meanwhile, for those who (like me) might not know yet, the most wonderful example of a panoramic scene is the painting "Along the River During the Qingming Festival" ("清明上河图") by Zhang Zeduan (1085–1145) that captures daily life in Kaifeng. There exists an amazing animated version of this painting, called "A Moving Masterpiece: The Song Dynasty As Living Art", currently on exhibition in Singapore. Check out some YouTube movies about it, or those available on the Chinese web, it is very touching.

• 1 month later...

some ideas re the original topic:

- pictures of playmobil and lego sets (the pirate ship may not be all that useful, but the house, hospital, farm etc look interesting) the pictures on the official playmobil website are a bit small, but you can search google for larger pictures.

- the ikea catalogue (for household items and activities) also has many panoramic pictures in addition to single items pictures. The item descriptions also can help research vocabulary.

I'm thinking, possibly catalogues are the way to go.

But I'm not sure where to find catalogues with quality similar to the ikea one.

Possibly, for street scenes, travel agency catalogues?

For workplace scenes, work clothes and uniforms catalogues?