Chinese-Forums

Chinese word for 'calculative'

calibre2001

I don't think 计较 is what you are looking for. It's a verb and means to mind.

There's a fair amount of adjectival usage (e.g. 你碰见过很计较的人吗?), and the implication pretty much is 'fussy' or 'calculative'. We often say someone is really 计较 about money.

What is "calculative" exactly? The sense you are referring to does not seem to be in Wiktionary or the New American Oxford Dictionary. I guess you mean "cunning" or "conniving" in which case 狡詐 would suffice...?

Hi, shrewd, petty minded is what I have in mind. But not only in terms of money.

For example, suppose boyfriend stays together with partner. Both take turns to clean the house each week. Partner falls sick for one week so boyfriend cleans the house during that one week. Once partner recovers boyfriend insists that partner cleans the house for an extra week as replacement.

I'd support a form of gato's 心眼儿, which is fairly frequently used in Beijing, as an option.

It's a bit tricky to use because it has a variety of meanings and can be used for both negative and positive connotations. For example, 他太有心眼儿了 could be interpreted as "He's too calculating" or "He's so shrewd/clever/insightful." Usually, people are found as having insufficient 心眼儿 (没心眼儿,缺心眼儿), which makes sense, given the rough-and-tumble nature of modern Chinese society.

But some people have too much of it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am a native speaker but not quite good at English, so don't know if "calculative" has a positive or negative meaning for description.

But in Chinese you should choose words carefully, depending on whether you are complimenting or grumbling.

Positive or neutral:精打细算

Negative:斤斤计较,算计,计较,抠门,小心眼(oral)

• 1 month later...
Hi, shrewd, petty minded is what I have in mind. But not only in terms of money.

For example, suppose boyfriend stays together with partner. Both take turns to clean the house each week. Partner falls sick for one week so boyfriend cleans the house during that one week. Once partner recovers boyfriend insists that partner cleans the house for an extra week as replacement.

斤斤计较 will do in this case. 你怎么这种事情都斤斤计较啊?

算得这么细干什么?

你太会算计了吧。(算计)

• Like 1