Chinese-Forums

RSS/Atom feed for CC-CEDICT updates

feng

For quite some time now I have been wishing that there was a feed of the updates made to cc-cedict so that I can start learning new and interesting things as they are added, and learn more about it. Intermittently checking the update page has proven to not be that useful, so I have setup an RSS/Atom feed so I can see the updates via google reader.

Thought I would share it if anyone is interested here they are:

http://uptecs.com/CedictTest/feed/CedictChanges.rss

http://uptecs.com/CedictTest/feed/CedictChanges.xml

It only has rough basic formatting at the moment. If people aside from me use it, I will probably put some effort into it. Feedback/comments welcome.

• Like 1

In Firefox you can look in the Bookmarks menu for "Subscribe to This Page..." item. It will be present if the page declares at least one feed.

Or you can just go straight to the source of the page and look for the statement that looks like this:

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml"

I have no idea why the feature is not made more obvious on that page.

I mostly use Chrome myself. Just had to launch Firefox to make sure I wasn't dreaming about it helping you to discover feeds. Now, looks like Chrome can do it too, but needs an extension for that; just found it. If you search for "rss" in extensions, there will be "RSS Subscription Extension (by Google)". It paces RSS icon in the location bar if the page happen to have a feed advertised within.

Firefox users might also benefit from these two Greasemonkey scripts:

RSS Panel X - puts a small drop-down overlay in the top-left corner of any web page that offers RSS or atom feeds of its content. The script even discovers hAtom microformat feeds and OPML feed collection files.

When you click on the overlay, it displays a list of all feeds available, including a listing of the individual items per feed. Each feed item is in turn a hyperlink. This script is based on the feed auto-discovery mechanism in the header of the page HTML <link=rel...>

Created by Benjamin Sittler after a prototype by Johannes La Poutré. Though the script was last updated in 2009, it has been working very well for me all along. I am on the Firefox beta channel (11 beta at the moment).

Smart Google Subscriber - checks your Google Reader subscription list and notifies you whether or not you already subscribed to the current website. The script displays a tiny RSS icon in the top-right corner of the webpage. The color of the icon depends on whether a feed is available (grey = no feed; orange = feed is available). If you already subscribed to the feed, the RSS icon is green. When you click on it, a small panel opens that lists the names of any feeds available.

Created by Sylvain Comte after an earlier script by Jasper de Vries. This script was last updated in October 2011 and it has been working well for me too.

small-logo.png