Chinese-Forums

Modern Chinese Slang Dictionary Project

danqi

I am aware of the fact that there have been multiple threads on slang terms and colloquial Chinese in general. But this one tries to be different. I want to create something like the definite thread on this topic. I am not aware of a useful and reliable dictionary for modern colloquial Chinese, so I decided to start a small one. This project is supposed to not only be entertaining but to also have scientific value. To achieve that I will introduce strict rules.

If you feel offended by the usage of profanity you should maybe avoid reading this thread, since profanity will be a core element of it. Or just remember that it's in the interest of science.

Every modern language is alive and constantly changing. That's why it is obviously hopeless to publish printed books on this topic. Many of the terms printed will be out of date shortly after. That's why I think the internet is a great medium for such a project. We should use it.

Please feel free to add or correct any term you like. Just make sure that you are in accordance with the following rules:

Rules:

1) Every entry must be contain the following fields in the following order:

- Term (character(s))

- Term (pinyin)

- Translation

- Context (explanation of the usage. Examples would be great)

- Region (optional. Use only, if the term is exclusively used in certain geographical regions. If so, here is the place to say in which)

- Source (including date/time period, if possible)

2) If there are multiple possible translations mark them with 1, 2, 3... and so on. In the Context field use the same numbers to make clear which translation the explanation of context refers to.

3) Only make entries of which you are certain. If you are not sure about a term or it's usage, don't enter it. You may request it though.

4) Make corrections, even small ones, to other entries by copying the entire prior entry and changing it. Mark it by writing "CORRECTION" above it.

5) Only enter modern terms, currently used somewhere in China.

6) Only enter Putonghua (Mandarin).

Before we start. Any suggestions, other rules, etc?

If you feel offended by the usage of profanity you should maybe avoid reading this thread, since profanity will be a core element of it.

I'm already offended by this statement! :mrgreen:

Seriously, I suggested amending the subject heading of the thread.

"Colloquial Chinese" is the Chinese as spoken by ordinary people (as opposed to Written Chinese or Literary Chinese), so what is offensive about it? My guess is you want to dedicate this thread to "Chinese Slang" or "Slangy Chinese", right?

8)

I think we should require that people give, wherever possible, the source (and time period?) for the expression. A lot of this stuff is really dependent on regional dialect, and slang always gets dated pretty quickly. (Can anyone out there lend me a 老头儿票? But I'd better watch out for 佛爷.)

Anyway, here's my contribution:

傻里吧叽 [shǎlibājī] - (东北) < scatterbrained, clueless. "哎哟, 这孩子傻里吧叽的, 啥也不懂!"

• 5 weeks later...

I've put the suggestions above, as well as some more of my own, online here. Enter "SLANG" in the box marked "Flag" and all entries will be displayed.

http://www.adsotrans.com/adso/uniedit.pl

http://www.adsotrans.com/adso/unidict.pl

Proper usage information, disagreements on pronunciation, regional source, etc. are in the "definition" field, while several words also have example sentences. Anyone should feel free to make additions/corrections, and can take credit for lowering the civility of waiguoren discourse by sticking their name in the "Source" box.

You're right.

The version in the database are common on the mainland, where some character encodings don't contain the other characters. There's actually a note explaining this in the description column of the relevant words.

What's interesting is that many Chinese are accustomed to writing it this way. Do a comparative search on Google looking for the number of hits for 傻屄 and 傻逼 and you'll see what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting compendium of slang has been published by the Boston book seller/publisher Cheng & Tsui (www.cheng-tsui.com), called Pop Chinese, Contempporary Colloquial Expressions (isbn 0-88727-42402), 2005. It contains examples with characters/romanizaiton (plus translation) of slang phrases from PRC television programs, newspapers, etc. A lot of the entries come from dialects and regional usage. Worth getting. I think the price is about $35, paperback.

还没呢 (hai2 mei2 ne5) "Not yet"

This is considered a Beijing figure of speech.

Usage: "Have you eaten?" (你吃了吗?) "Not yet" (还没呢)

The more typical response would be 没有 (mei2 you3).

My friends in Guangdong laughed at/with me when I used this expression. They've already told me I speak with a Beijing accent.

• 1 month later...

The problem with this, is people are getting mixed up with what slang is, and what swearing is! slang is acceptable for general conversaitions that are informal, whilst Swearing is not! .

Eg in english we can say crap.

• 2 weeks later...

well These two are my favorite up to this point. I am not sure if they are conmsidered slang but I like it.

问候你妈妈。wen4hou4ni3ma1ma5. It mean send regards to your mother. It tends to be a good remark to use after a heated argument. As long as you don't mind a fight.

你戴绿帽子ni3dai4lv4mao4zi5. Ahh telling someone they wear the green hat. it can also get you in to a fight or two. By telling a man this it means that his wife or girlfriend is cheating on him. The power of being able to call someone's wife a trap and him an idiot is great but use it wisely. I have always picture the green hat being some sort of foam front mesh back truckers hat with a stick people haveing sex on it. One arrow pointing to the woman reading "my wife" and the other pointing to the guy reading "not me". I have to much time to sit around and think.

• 4 years later...

(Thought I'd revieve this thread.)

QQ = nappy (hair)

Something I saw on 命中注定我爱你 (love this show) once -- at least one mainlander I know understands what it means, but I don't think most do. The sentence used to describe a guy (by a girl) was: 高高瘦瘦,头发QQ. See here. I have no idea how widespread it is -- maybe someone in Taiwan can ask around...

下馆子 (xia4 guan3 zi) = go out to eat

Saw it on 家有儿女 (an awesome, hilarious source of legit 口语). Mainland China, probably Taiwan too, though I'm not sure about that.

哈韩,哈日 (ha1 han2, ha1 ri4) = imitate Koreans, Japanese

The noun is 哈韩(日)族. Pejorative in the way that weaboo is in English. Most young mainlanders understand it; I'm guessing they do in Taiwan too.

宅 (zhai2) = nerdy, i.e., always stays at home and never goes out

The nouns are 宅男 and 宅女. Started in Taiwan as internet slang, but every mainland kid knows what it means. It's very common.

“又不想出去玩儿了,你太宅了!”

Edited by aristotle1990

= "homebody" in English, meaning someone who always stays home. 宅 = those old Chinese houses built from ancient times or modeled on them. 宅 is now used to mean "home".

This term is possibly translated directly from American English with 男 or 女 added in to distinguish the person's gender.

下馆子

下 = to go down = going down from where you currently are located to where you're going [apartment to outside the building, etc...?].

馆子 : 馆 = 饭馆. 子 = 词的后缀

Edited by trien27