Chinese-Forums

"HIV", "AIDS" and "HIV/AIDS" - 3 different words in Chinese?

tooironic

I have a question about the words "HIV", "AIDS" and "HIV/AIDS". I noticed Chinese people often just say 艾滋病 to refer to all three terms, but technically they have three slightly different meanings. Is there a way to translate those three words in three distinct ways in Chinese?

Thanks.

Hm...

I am not entirely solid on the difference in English... But I have heard I think three(?) different terms: 艾滋病 which would be AIDS, 人类免疫缺陷病毒 which would be HIV, and then 艾滋病病毒 which I was under the impression was another way to refer to the super technical-sounding 人类免疫缺陷病毒... so HIV as well. I didn't know there was a third thing "HIV/AIDS", but I suspect it would be 艾滋病/艾滋病病毒.

As AIDS is connected to immune deficiency as a syndrome in a way that 艾滋病 isn't, I'd use the "working definitions":

HIV/AIDS = 艾滋病 = 从HIV导致的免疫缺陷/缺乏症

HIV = 艾滋病病毒 = 人类免疫缺陷病毒

AIDS = 人类免疫缺陷 = 获得性免疫缺乏症

Very likely to be replaced by the English terms in technical discourse (I won't comment on whether it occurs in clinical discourse). I would shy away from using 艾滋病 for 单单AIDS, unless I qualified it with something like (跟)艾滋病(有关)的缺乏症. Much as in English I would hesitate to use AIDS alone without adding some kind of modifier like "the syndrome of AIDS itself", "the deficiency [that is] characteristic of AIDS".

• Like 1

艾滋病 is a transliteration of the English 'AIDS' and is often used loosely and inaccurately to describe both.

More accurately

HIV is 人体免疫缺损病毒 or more colloquially 艾滋病病毒 (much as we may say "the AIDS virus")

AIDS is more technically 获得性免疫缺陷综合症.