Chinese-Forums

Swear words more taboo in the south?

tooironic

Has anyone else come across the phenomenon of Mandarin swear words being more taboo in the South of China? What I've noticed is some words like 裝逼 and 腦殘 are often used freely among my friends in the North whilst when I use them in conversation with Southern friends they sometimes look at me in shock and ask me if I know how dirty or strong they are. Anyone had a similar experience?

Interesting. Initially I'd assumed the opposite but the more I think about it, I don't really remember friends I knew in the south dropping these kinds of words into friendly chat all the time.

The reason I'd initially assumed the opposite is because I remember years ago being (jokingly) warned by some friends in Wuhan before heading "up north" (to Henan) that you can't swear at strangers in the north because if you do they'll beat you up.

On reflection, any chance it's right to generalise that in the south it's more common to swear angrily at a stranger who has annoyed you, while in the north it's more common to swear jokingly at a friend?

Perhaps my observation in these two old threads is relevant ->

http://www.chinese-f...e__p__17644__hl__?犖憸冽?#comment-17644 (#14)

http://www.chinese-f...e__p__18329__hl__?犖憸冽?#comment-18329 (#10)

PS - Actually do read the whole threads, especially wushijiao's observations -

I think there is a subtle difference in these cultures that most foreigners can't quickly understand, and once you understand it, you can't convey very easily in English.
When I was in Beijing, it seemed much more common for even girls to go to bars, swear and yell at guys, with "Cao this" and "Cao that". When I lived in Henan, these "masculine" (social constructions of masculinity, of course) behaviors by women- drinking, smoking, hanging out with guys late at night- would be seen as "unlady-like".
On the other hand, I've always associated Shanghai and the South with refinement and elegance.
  • Like 1