Chinese-Forums

translation help

orentaub11

i didn't see any forum rules asking for information beside asking my question.

It's not a hard rule, more of a friendly guideline:

• Before asking a question, attempt to answer it yourselfGoogle, the site search, dictionaries (online or on paper) are good places to start. If you still need help, explain what you have found and why you need more assistance.

Be specific and detailed. Recommending "A good school in China" is very difficult. Recommending "A good school in Beijing or Shanghai for someone with two years of Chinese, who wants to improve their reading," is a lot easier.

Use a meaningful title. "Help" or "Newbie Questions" are not meaningful titles.

Background to your question makes your post more interesting, and more likely to be answered. If you are asking for a textbook recommendation, tell us your level and how long you've been studying. If you don't understand a word, show us the sentence or paragraph you found it in. Don't just tell us what you want to know. Tell us why you want to know.

I've highlighted the relevant parts, which basically state more or less what people have been telling you above, i.e. people are usually more willing to help if you tell them why you need help, rather than just saying 'do this for me'.

From the reaction you got to your post, you should be able to see that it actually makes quite a difference to how people respond to you.

• Like 1