Chinese-Forums

Simplified/traditional interface discrepancies

Benjameno

I've been studying Chinese for about a year and, despite advice to the contrary, I initially began by learning simplified characters. My repertoire of traditional characters is limited to those most frequently used in the subtitles of music videos, and of course those which differ from their simplified counterparts by only the radical. However, I recently decided to start from scratch and am correspondingly switching all of my interfaces to 繁體字. Surprisingly (at least to me), I found that there was a lot of new terminology being bandied around in otherwise familiar places - especially in Gmail.

As an example, the simplified version of the "mark as unread" button used to read: 标记为未读 now it is: 標示為未讀取

I suppose I can accept that 標記 and 標示 may both be used here, but what is the function of 取? Would these instructions be interchangeable in Mainland China?

it seems 讀取 is a computer technology term meaning "to read" when reading involves fetching the data (from memory, from a register, from a file, from a server...)

Question: is 取 a verbal complement in this case? are 讀得取 and 讀不取 correct? (meaning, able to read, unable to read)

Question: is 取 a verbal complement in this case? are 讀得取 and 讀不取 correct? (meaning, able to read, unable to read)

I don't think people would say it this way: 讀得取 and 讀不取

But you can say it this way: 能讀取, 不讀取