Chinese-Forums

Chengyu search: Learn new things by reviewing the old

insighter

The other day (I'm 90% sure) I saw the definition for a chengyu that meant to re-read or re-study already learnt things as a way of getting knowledge or learning. However right now I can't recall or find that specific chengyu. Now, there is a 10% chance that the definition I saw was for 温故而知新 and I am now confusing them. The definition for that chengyu is "to review the old and know the new", or in other words to know to the future we must study/review the past.

Anyways this is a very minor thing, but it's really annoying me! If someone on the off chance is a chengyu master and knows what I'm talking I'd appreciate knowing too.

It's from the Analects of Confucius. I use it frequently in a simple way to exhort my teachers to spend more one-to-one class time helping me review instead of just racing ahead. It's difficult for them to ignore when they know it is Confucian wisdom.

温故知新

I had thought the essence of 温故知新 was more like "we are doomed to repeat history unless we know it" kind of thing.

You're right; it is. I was subverting the chengyu to my own improper uses.