Chinese-Forums

Man's Best Friend: Canine/Dog Terms & Resources in Chinese

heifeng

I was rather excited to find this page today since it had pictures....and Chinese...AND some of the different names used for the same breed of dog.

http://www.goumin.com/species/

Well, maybe you already knew *all* of these, but if not, enjoy.

I am still exploring that particular forum, but it seems to have some interesting posts & articles, such as: 狗狗粑粑不正常,求救? ; 牛油果,美味?还是毒药?;POCKY仔,确定了是髌骨问题,请问医生,建议如何手术?;柯利犬眼睛的先天遗传缺陷

Do you know of/use any other terms for a certain breed of dog or do you visit other dog or pet forums? Feel free to share..... :lol:

As a warning, I will be getting a dog & finally getting back on track w/ my posts, so expect more dog posts here & maybe in my soon to be revitalized 朗读thread! :twisted:

Cool, thanks. Here is a question for you, what term do you encounter more 宠物医生 or 兽医 for veterinarians treating pets? I think of the latter to cover all types of animals (livestock, zoo animals, etc) & the former specifically for pets, but I am interested in what you most frequently encounter (in spoken language, signs, etc). Maybe there are even more terms (i.e.宠物医师,etc)...I don't remember what I saw on signs in Beijing. Hmm I'll have to jog my memory.

I think of the latter to cover all types of animals (livestock, zoo animals, etc) & the former specifically for pets

You're right in saying that. So in cities, where dogs are mostly kept as pets, it's more appropriate to use 寵物醫生(寵物醫師 is used in a register outside of everyday life). In the countryside, 獸醫 would be preferred.

• Like 1

well, if it cannot be inputted online ...

It can be input online. Not on this forum however. I regularly use a non-China related forum site using the same basic software as this. I can input it there no problem.

I guess it is to do with which fonts are installed on this site.

㞎, you mean? For reference, it isn't in all IMEs - Google didn't have it, I pasted it in from Unihan. The forums (more specifically, the database) does choke on some very obscure characters, but this doesn't appear to be one. See here for the explanation if you want.

Right, back to the puppies...

Edit for the below - shows fine here...start a topic in the help forum if you're stuck, there's no need to continue here.