Chinese-Forums

What does 处 mean in 长袖挥处

muirm

I come across this use of 处 sometimes when reading, but I'm not sure what its function is. I usually just ignore it or pretend like it's 出 instead. Here is the full sentence:

情急之下,挥动拂尘护住头脸,长袖挥处,三枚冰魄神针急射而出。

I would guess it's the verb form of 处, but I can't make sense of it based on any of these definitions:

1. 居住。
  2. 置身在(某个地方、时期或场合)。
  3. 相处;交往。
  4. 处置;办理。
  5. 惩办。

请赐教!

Bonus points if you can name the book without cheating.

長袖揮處 ~ where the long sleeves are thrown

Thank you. It makes sense now. My brain didn't want to parse 处 as a noun because of the comma right after it.

Does 塵拂 suggest 李莫愁 in 神鵰?

Yes indeed it does. You got all that from someone waving a 拂尘? I thought you would need the 暗器 clue as well. 佩服得五体投地!

Truth is -

1) I didn't realise it was 拂塵. Over here it is called 塵拂 (think 夜宵/宵夜);

2) I didn't recognise the needle weapon, in fact I hadn't finished reading the whole sentence as, just as murim pointed out, I recognised the character based on the 拂塵;

3) I would not have remembered anything about 李莫愁 had I not read an article about her (about her resorting to cruelty and killing without using her wit to solve problems) quite recently, and I had a vague memory that someone here is reading 神鵰. (Further reading - 李莫愁的選擇)

冰魄银针

You are right. I couldn't remember my full example sentence so I just googled for it rather than looking it up in my book. My book says 银针, but the internet seems to have both 银针 and 神针 (particularly relating to some 天龙八部 online game).