Chinese-Forums

Music related wordlist?

Dr.Gorgon

• New Members

hi,

I just signed in, so 大家好我叫Dr. Gorgon.

I´m studying music in university and chinese when ever I have "free time".

I´m trying to find some good wordlist or even dictionary to practice chinese which is related to my major and common interest.

I find that the best way to learn a new language is to study phrases what you really want to say, study words you really really want to know. That boring stuff comes by it self later. For example I learn words like 音响合成器 much much more easier than 官撩主义 and so forth. All those 汉语 book series only kills my apetite for chinese. And many times the language in those have absolutely nothing to do with the actual language which real people in the real world uses.

I´ve been studying over a year now, my chinese is some where 1500-2000 words/characters. I´m planning to grasp simplified first, then traditional. Grammar is somewhere HSK3-4 level.

Anyway I would be really grateful if some one has any idea how to start studying music stuff in chinese.

One additional question. Any good ideas for practicing 听力? Mine is really really bad. My pronaunciation is pretty good, and my hearing in music is good - but when it comes to chinese...

My problem is, that for some reason I´m not good in staying in context - I mean those homophonics attends to be pain in the ass.

More than that, I´m really bad in "filling the blanks". In other words, when i miss one word in the phrase I panic and loose the track...Also, I have a few friends from 北京 and for me their 北京话 is really hard to understand. and they say that there 普通话 supposed to be in purest form.

I study chinese, not english so no need for correct my english.

非常感谢!

• Like 1

A few points.

北京话 is not 普通话 in its purest form, although some Beijingers seem to think so. 普通话 was a rather artificial construct from the beginning, with its grammar and vocabulary taken from the literary canon, and pronunciation taken from the educated elite of Beijing almost one century ago. It is logical that the pronunciation and vocabulary of an average Beijinger today is quite different from 普通话. Beijing speech tends to be muffled and you need to get used to it at first.

听力 is difficult, period. The only thing that helps is lots of listening with increasingly complex materials. TV shows can help, or radio, textbooks with CDs, etc. You'll likely need hundreds of hours of listening to this stuff before you start feeling comfortable. Due to the tonal nature of Mandarin and the relative lack of stress, things like "filling in the blanks" are extremely hard in the beginning.

I don't know about the best way to learn music vocabulary-- perhaps befriending a Chinese musician, or reading an Internet forum dedicated to music? My girlfriend has a dictionary of Chinese music terms. Dreadful thing, that little book! It has Chinese translations for everything from "cantabile" and "adaggio" to "pianissimo" and "DS al coda". After I'm finished learning Chinese to a fluent level, I'll essentially have to memorise all of that before I can discuss music with a reasonably trained person. The most terrifying thing ever. I ignore its existence and pretend it does not exist.