Chinese-Forums

does this character even exist?

li3wei1

Okay, if I take this character: 剃, and put it into my perakun word list, export it to word, open it with utf-8 encoding, it comes out as something I can't reproduce here, it's got a 乞 on the left and a 刂on the right. If I copy and paste into this forum or any dictionary, it reverts to 剃.

Any clues?

刉. Just random thinking here but Perapera-kun was originally developed for Japanese. Seeing as its pronunciation is "tatsu," which means "cut" in different ways and written variously as 裁, 截, 絶, 斷, maybe they have some kind of system in there that substitutes some "cut"-meaning characters with others pronounced "tatsu."

Thanks. I knew if anyone could find it, they'd be here.

Unihan has them as separate code points though.

But peraperakun maps them to the same code point, and doesn't appear to have 刉 on its system at all.

For reference, these obscure characters are generally pretty easy to find on Unihan as long as you can make out radicals and stroke counts - which in this case was simple. That then at least gives you something you can copy and paste. You can also just draw it into Pleco if you have the Unihan add-on.