Chinese-Forums

What does 鸟人 mean?

bluetortilla

I can 鸟人 literally means 'bird person' or I guess 'bird man' but what's it's slang meaning? Also, I got the affectionate nickname from some students of 蛋蛋, which I'm sure must be abbreviated as 旦旦. It seems this means 'dummy' (in contrast to English 'egghead'), but I'm not quite clear on this egg equals dim thing. Anyway, as my family name comes out as 哈丁, which is a bit embarrassing, the joke was created. You had to be there I guess.

鸟 is used in literary language as a sort of a general-purpose dismissive, disparaging adjective. In Water Margin, Wu Song (I believe) uses it all the time. 鸟 this, 鸟 that. "Who's this 鸟 official trying to arrest me, go away", it's hilarious.

Context would help, of course. Perhaps there is a more modern meaning that a bookworm like me with no friends doesn't know.

屌 = 鸟 = penis

See this from 古汉语大词典

鸟[鳥]

(二)(diǎo)通“屌”。骂人的粗话。《水浒传》第三十回:“休言你这厮鸟蠢汉,景阳冈上那只大虫,也只三拳两脚,我兀自打死了。”

蛋 can mean dummy if used in 笨蛋.

蛋蛋=your balls

While I'm sure it means that in some context, I seriously doubt my 18 year old female students would be calling me 'your balls' in front of the whole class. I am sure that 蛋 (旦)refers to a dummy or an SOB (王八蛋).

I don't want to be too disparaging here, but I also heard a classmate call her male coed a 馒头, which I believe is an unkind way of saying he is fat. Is it common to insult people with food references?

While I'm sure it means that in some context, I seriously doubt my 18 year old female students would be calling me 'your balls' in front of the whole class. I am sure that 蛋 (旦)refers to a dummy or an SOB (王八蛋).

I don't want to be too disparaging here, but I also heard a classmate call her male coed a 馒头, which I believe is an unkind way of saying he is fat. Is it common to insult people with food references?

Well, I don't think 馒头 is an unkind way of saying he is fat, on the contrary, it is most likely they have close relationship. Again, weak insult could be a way of showing friendship if you are close enough.