Chinese-Forums

how to translate "telecommuting" into Chinese?

tooironic

"Telecommuting" is another term that's tricky to translate into Mandarin.

Which of the following do you think is better?

- 家庭办公

- 远程办公

- 居家就业

- 远距离工作

I'm also aware of the Chinese slang "SOHO" ("Small Office Home Office"), but I'm looking for a formal translation. Thanks!

I would use 在家工作.

I have a friend who sometimes works at home because of her health issue. She said the arrangement is simply called "work from home" and there is not a Chinese name, which is not surprising as she works with HSBC.

I think it's important to distinguish between telecommuting and working from home. For example, I work from home because I work for myself, but I don't telecommute because there's nowhere for me to be commuting to/from.

Telecommuting is just one of a group of activities that come under the broader term of working from home.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For future reference, here is Baidu Baike's page on "teleworking" (远程工作). Some use is made of the term "远程通信" as well as "远程办公" which has its own Baidu Baike page. You can read the Chinese articles in their entirety to see the language they use to deal with the various concepts. (By the way, nciku.com provides 远程办公 and 远程交换 for telecommuting; while Google Translate gives the latter 远程办公. 远程办公 is also mentioned a couple of times in members' posts above.)