Chinese-Forums

人家:Usage Question

cuppajoe

I’m going through HIT-5’s song 《怕了你》 right now and I’m confused by the way 人家 is being used. I know that 人家is a way to refer to “oneself,” but isn’t it almost exclusively said by women (or effeminate when men say it)? Why would a boy band use it? Or am I wrong in that assumption?

Music Video Link:

Here’s the chorus of the song:

就一朵鲜花,就一个电话

就一个拥抱足以让
人家
牵挂

每一次可爱,每一次耍赖

每一次你永远先离开我都等你回来 OH。。。

真的怕了你,

思维没逻辑,

可我从没生过气,

我有一点点怕了你,

有一点委屈,没关系,

因为我的心中只会爱你。

Depending on the context, it can mean 'me/oneself', 'other people', 'home/house/family'. And sometimes it can refer to engagement.

Take a look at word (27) here -> http://humanum.arts....ory=wholerecord

27. [ren2jia1], n., (1) a dwelling house; (2) s.o. else's home; (3) a high-class family: 清白家 a decent family; 富貴家 a rich and politically influential family; (4) a family engaged in a certain occupation: 務農家 a farm family; 作工的家 an artisan’s (workingman's) family; (5) a wife: 娶個家 get married; (6) (*[ren2jia0]) some one, one, used to denote (a) somebody else: 家的事你不用管 don’t meddle with somebody else's business; [ren2jia0], (b) used to denote others:家可不能像你那麼胡說 others, another, will not talk such nonsense as you do; © or to denote the speaker himself: 你成天拿家開玩笑 you are making fun of me all the time; (d) to denote persons of a particular class: 男家 the menfolk, 女家 womenfolk; 婦道家 ditto; 女孩家 girls; [ren2jia1], (7) the husband's family before marriage: 給她找個家 choose a prospective husband for her; 已經有家兒了 she is already engaged.

when used to refer to oneself you are right often girlies use it. 人家漂亮吗 is a classical sentence.

If a boy band wants to appeal to this girlie type target audience why not adopt the language they speak, ie by using the same type of words you are more likely to sell more songs. Is that not just marketing?

:-)