Chinese-Forums

訊 vs 信

skylee

Am I right to say that on the mainland 訊 is not used for the meaning of message/ information/ communication, such as 訊息 / 喜訊 / 電訊 / 短訊? And 信 is used instead? I think 訊 is much more widely used in Hong Kong, and am a bit confused about the use of 信 as the two words are homophones in Cantonese, so I am not sure how "correct" 信 is, or if it is just a mistake/ typo.

How about in Taiwan?

I took the attached picture at 中關村 yesterday. I learnt three things -

a) There is really nothing for a tourist at 中關村 unlesss he/she is very tech savvy. b) 訊 is used all right, but sometimes not in ways I expect it to be. c) I had not noticed the use of 問訊 before. In HK, we use 詢問, different word and reverse order. In Cantonese 訊 and 詢 have the same pronunciation but with different tones (seon3 vs seon1). Both 問訊 and 詢問 can be found in the Taiwan MOE Dictionary, though.

post-32-0-21418400-1364768788_thumb.jpg