Chinese-Forums

娇气 - good English translation?

tooironic

My Chinese-Chinese dictionary defines 娇气 as:

①形性格脆弱,吃不得苦,受不得委屈。

这孩子太娇气,说他两句就受不了。

Any ideas on an English translation?

• Like 1

I agree with skylee. The translation would be vary depending on how it is used, but "spoiled" is probably the most common usage, like when you are describing a child, or a girl :)

I am surprised the ABC Dictionary doesn't have "spoiled" in its definitions:

娇气[嬌氣]

¹jiāoqì

S.V. ① fragile; delicate ② squeamish; finicky

I think this is an example where most C-E dictionaries have it wrong. Describing someone as "fragile" or "delicate" sounds decidely antiquated to my ears, and "squeamish" and "finicky" and are just plain wrong as far as I can see. Check out their Oxford dictionary definitions:

squeamish: (of a person) easily made to feel sick, faint, or disgusted, esp. by unpleasant images, such as the sight of blood: he was a bit squeamish at the sight of the giant needles. • (of a person) having strong moral views; scrupulous: she was not squeamish about using her social influence in support of her son.

finicky: (of a person) fussy about one's needs or requirements: a finicky eater. • showing or requiring great attention to detail: a finicky, almost fetishistic collector.

Now, do those concepts have anything to do with 娇气?

"Sensitive" (having a quick appreciation of others' feelings/easily upset) and "highly strung" (very nervous and easily upset) seem inaccurate. I think "spoiled" is fine as a reference translation, but technically that refers to 宠坏, which is only one part of 娇气, the other part being the 吃不得苦,受不得委屈 part. *Sigh*. Thanks anyway for the suggestions.