Chinese-Forums

Erase personal profile and all posts.

My favorite Chinese Dictionaries (for good definitions and sample sentences and full chinese/pinyin/english)

Tuttle Learner's C-E dictionary: http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/0804835527

Cheng and Tsui C-Pinyin-E dictionary: http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0887273165

I used to have the Pocket Oxford dictionary, but I gave it away because I didn't use it (and I use Pleco for day-to-day lookup).

Both the Pocket Oxford and Tuttle Learner's are available on Pleco. If you install Pleco, you can download demo versions of each dictionary to see what the definitions are like.

As for learning vocabulary, I usually choose something I'm interested in reading and OCR it or get the electronic text and then cut-and-paste it into a parser that will create a word list for me. I find it more useful to go through vocabulary in a reading since it has context and I remember it better than learning off of a word-list. That being said, I'm planning to take the HSK, so I'm going to have to start using a list...

It would be great if somebody who owns that dictionary posted a photo with some pages, so that I can evaluate if this dictionary is what I'm looking for.

I can't imagine this actually being helpful, but here are a couple shots from the Third Edition.

post-20301-0-52621000-1369535413_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-97319600-1369535426_thumb.jpg

post-20301-0-59111600-1369535463_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-12444600-1369535482_thumb.jpg

I want to learn all the words listed in a pocket/mini dictionary (usually the 15000 basic words).

Would add that I don't think this is an optimal plan, for many reasons.