Chinese-Forums

Computing Vocabulary Resources

Jaxx Morton

Hey guys. Im going to be taking a Gap-Year in Changzhou starting this August. My current Macbook is pretty old and I plan to get a new one. However, Im trying to get 100% immersion so I would like to put my Macbook's language into Chinese. My questions is not how to do so but if anybody knows of any resources help me learn all the terms that go along with using a computer. Words like "copy" and "paste"

TL;DR

Does anybody know a resource for learning all the computer vocab in Chinese. Words like "save" "new file" etc.....

谢谢!

This wasn't hard to find. Google "chinese computer vocabulary" and this is the first link.

If that web site appears daunting, you can try this small list.

You can also check this resource.

If none of the above works, turn to Wiktionary. It is a wonderful resource.

If you find even Wiktionary is cumbersome, go to Google translate. :wink:

• Like 1

These are not the translations used by Apple for OSX.

Macs use 拷贝 for copy, 存储 for save and 新建XX for New XX.

To the OP, you will find that Windows and OSX and Linux all use their own slightly different (although sometimes identical) translations for different terms. I don't know of any resource that lists this information or their differences, however it is not difficult to find out this stuff by yourself. Simply run an application and note down the English menu items/terms you are interested in and then switch languages to Chinese and note down/compare the term that is used. These will appear in the exact same locations on the menu so will be easy to compare and learn from. It will also be 100% correct for your situation, which lists compiled on the Internet/dictionaries might not be if they are based on terminology used by Windows machines.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...