Chinese-Forums

how to say check in & check out?

hyanglee

Where I live 小姐 is a euphemism for prostitutes.

Where I live it is not. It has more usages than just that. And I don't remember offending anyone by saying 小姐 during check-in at Mainland hotels.

On 小姐, I have used it many times in Singapore and Malaysia no issues. In Beijing nobody seems to use it. But recently in Guangdong was told it may be taken negatively - I take it because of prostitute connotation. Any rule of thumb on when it is acceptable?

On 小姐, I have used it many times in Singapore and Malaysia no issues. In Beijing nobody seems to use it. But recently in Guangdong was told it may be taken negatively - I take it because of prostitute connotation. Any rule of thumb on when it is acceptable?

小姐 as a Noun would has a negative meaning. i.e. 她是一个小姐。

when it is used to address a young lady, it is proper and polite. If you know her family name let's say 王,then it is 王小姐。

It is used in pair with 先生. For Madam we'd better say 女士。

This rule is accepted all over China.

• Like 1