Chinese-Forums

dining dimwit

beqstar

what do the chinese consider a 'good' restaurant?...i've only been here a bit over a month, and it seems that some of the more well-regarded restaurants (as recommended by locals) aren't necessarily the most expensive or well-kept. I've had some really wonderful, and cheap, meals in what, by western standards, we might consider a Board of Health nightmare.

Further, all of the more expensive and better-decorated restaurants seem fake and aimed only at drawing in tourists.

I love the small, dirty restaurants, and they are always crowded!

Health officials here in L.A. post grade cards (A, B, C, D, F) on every food establishment business in LA County, from the smallest grocery stores to the biggest dining restaurants.

There are a lot of Chinese restaurants here with grade cards of 'C' that are less clean than the average restaurant, but are always packed with customers because many people could care less about the tidiness of the restaurant. I don't mind that the restaurant is small and somewhat dirty, as long as the food is delicious and you get good service. There is this one restaurant with a grade of 'C' that I visit frequently because the food is great and I know the manager well.

I agree that many of the more expensive, better-decorated restaurants look good on the outside, but the food's quality is a joke for the price you get. Din Tai Fung is an exception. The branch in LA is always packed each night with customers, including many Japanese and laowai customers, because the food is good and healthy, despite 10 pieces of xiao long bao costing $6 dollars (US)!