Chinese-Forums

Another translation question

Lu

From another Han Han article, 不要动不动就举国暴怒. At the end of the article, HH writes: 'Since Netease loves to take quotes out of context, I'll save them the trouble and write some out-of-context headlines for them.' Which he then does, and he concludes with: 网易括弧再次强调,第二条仅代表嘉宾意见,不表示网易赞同其意见。如有问题,直接找他,网易与此无关。网易只是取了个标题。

I translate this as 'By the way, Netease would like to emphasise that [this part I don't get], this does not mean that Netease agrees with these viewpoints. If you have any questions, please take this up with the original poster, Netease has nothing to do with this. Netease just made the headlines.' (My actual translation is in Dutch and is a bit better than this.)

What does 第二条仅代表嘉宾意见 mean here? The second... what, post in this forum thread?

Thanks for any help.

I think it's more likely "a mistake or shortcoming that may be exploited by an opponent". That's one of the definitions MDBG gives for 辮子, anyway. They don't seem to have anything for 小辮子, although Taiwan's MOE has 把柄 as a metaphorical definition, with this example: 「你又沒有什麼小辮子讓他抓在手中,何必那麼怕他?」 That seems to indicate the mistake or shortcoming meaning.

• 1 month later...

条 can of course mean lots of things as you're aware, but here I think he's referring to the second point in his list above. ie

韩寒声称达赖是我们的朋友,网友纷纷划清界限(网易也宣布于其划清界限

He's trying to get the reader to think twice.

Also, I think here that 赞同 would be better translated as endorses or supports, not agrees.

第2条is 韩寒声称达赖是我们的朋友,网友纷纷划清界限(网易也宣布于其划清界限).

He is sarcastic with the fact that some media like netease like to take quotes out of context.And they show their subjective viewpoints towards news ,at the same time they still want to clear that they are objective and they are not going to be responsible for what they publish.