Chinese-Forums

Help with 2 words

Cristy26

My tutor gave me a phrase for "please step aside" Qing(3) Rang. I don't know the tone for Rang and cannot find a character for it. Any ideas?

Also I asked her for a word for cereal. Breakfast cereal like cheerios. She said that there really was no word for it in Mandarin. Any ideas?

In Taiwan at least, 麥片 is oatmeal, which is a cereal, but not "breakfast cereal like Cheerios."

I just asked my Taiwanese friend, and she said "We just say 'cereal.'" Same answer from a translation professor. He said you can either try to describe it and hope they know what you're talking about, or you can just say "cereal." Again, this is in Taiwan, and may or may not apply in China.

Even 'oatmeal' means different things in British and American. 麥片is the American version, flakes made by flattening whole grains.

Try finding an English word for some of the things they eat for breakfast in Taiwan, like 油条.

• Like 1

Perhaps you could go with 西式早餐 and then elaborate (谷物配牛奶)? I'm assuming your sentence is something like "for breakfast I normally eat cereal", which could be 我一般吃西式早餐,那就是说谷物配牛奶 ("I normally eat a western style breakfast, that is to say cereal and milk").

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just now saw your question.

My tutor gave me a phrase for "please step aside" Qing(3) Rang. I don't know the tone for Rang and cannot find a character for it. Any ideas?

We use this a lot in Kunming, for example when wanting to get off a crowded bus. 请让 is much, much less often heard here than related phrases such as 请让一让 or 请让我一下。Of course that could be a regional difference.

Sort of means "please let me pass" or "please let me get by/get through." In practice, it doesn't hurt to follow it with 我要下车 or 我下车 if you are, in fact, getting off the bus or out of the subway car.

What is your location? Where are you going to be saying these things?