Chinese-Forums

bigotry, bigotted, bigot in Chinese?

tooironic

Any ideas about how to translate "bigotry, bigotted, bigot" in Chinese?

It seems there is no exact word for "bigotry" in Chinese. Here is the definition in English according to Wikipedia:

"the state of mind of... someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats other people with fear, distrust, hatred, contempt, or intolerance on the basis of a person's ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics."

Some dictionaries translate bigotry/bigotted as 偏执, but this word does not have an element of prejudice to it. And of course it shouldn't be translated as 固执 - that just means stubborn.

Here are my reference translations:

bigotry: 抱偏见

bigotted: 抱偏见的

bigot: 抱偏见的人

Any suggestions? Thanks.

As you quoted wiki's definition, 'as a result of their prejudices', it can be translated into 偏执. If you master Chinese word's POS(part of speech) well, you can tell the differences between:偏执(noun), 偏执的(adjective) and 偏执的人(noun).

bigotry, bigoted, bigot=偏执,偏执的和偏执的人(Like a title of psychology papers.)

But like I said in my original post, 偏执 does not necessarily have an element to prejudice to it. In the *Chinese* definitions of the word I have read, the focus seems to be on stubbornly sticking to one's views, with a connotation of delusion too (妄想) or paranoia (多疑). Close to bigotry, but no cigar, though it appears the word is often used as a translation of the English.