Chinese-Forums

Vocab Question Difference between

Northern_Lights

Sorry if this is covered before or if this is in the wrong place. I am just wondering if there is a major difference or if the difference is more styleisitic between 想 and 要? I am begining to learn and it seems the two maybe interchangeable?

Well, both of those have many different meanings, and usage will heavily depend on context. It might help to learn other meanings of both words to get a feeling. 想 primarily means to think about something, 要 means "want".

One situation where you could use either involves expressing that you want something. In this case, 要 is a bit more forceful (I want that) than 想 (I'd like that).

If you are making a request, yes. As in, you want somebody to bring you a Coke. 要 is a more forceful request.

In a different context, 要 can mean a firm plan, or even future tense (I will drink some coke), while 想 might simply express a desire (even if you don't expect that there is coke).

Can you give a bit more context? What were you taught that 要 and 想 mean, and how were you taught to use them?

I was taught both me "want". The various methods I use have only given "want" as the meaning, but I was unclear on how would I ask for a pack of cigarettes at a corner market or something like that. I have even see the construct 我想要 as a way of making a request. Mostly just trying to learn how to express desire, and if it is expressed different than making a request.

我要... = "I want..."

我想... = "I'd like to..." (or "I think...", depending on context)

When asking for things many Chinese just say 我要... or 来一个...

想要 is a textbooky word, and not all that common in real-life (though note it does have the additional meaning of "horny").

but I was unclear on how would I ask for a pack of cigarettes at a corner market or something like that

In this sort of situation, I think it's more common to use the 来 construct, e.g. something like '老板你好,来一盒 <brand name of cigarettes>'.

(though note it does have the additional meaning of "horny").

That depends quite a lot on context.

I'm just a beginner in Chinese, but 对不起 is a serious apology. Literally meaning something like "Impossible to make this (the wrong I did) right again". The way I understand it, there's no need to add that to a normal question, it would even be odd.

For "normal" apologies I hear people say 不好意思. But again, no need to apologise for wanting to buy something :)

I'm just a beginner in Chinese, but 对不起 is a serious apology. Literally meaning something like "Impossible to make this (the wrong I did) right again". The way I understand it, there's no need to add that to a normal question, it would even be odd.

For "normal" apologies I hear people say 不好意思. But again, no need to apologise for wanting to buy something :)

Ok I was under the impression it could also mean "Excuse me" :)

Ah, no. I initially thought that too, but Chinese people told me it's so stiff and grave, unless you did something really terrible, stick with "不好意思" (~ I'm embarrassed) to apologise, and "请问, ...?" (May I ask, please) to start a conversation, and everyone's suggestions above: "(title) 你好, ...?"

Thank you Kenny. I was asking, cause I will go to (northern) China for the first time soon. I'll stick with 买 / 買 and 来 / 來 then. I do intend to sound friendly!

No problem, Ruben. For what it's worth, sometimes after having eye contact with the shopkeeper, I just go with (老闆)+ what I want, for example, (老闆,)一瓶礦泉水. 老闆 is optional.