Chinese-Forums

Dealing with 文創

lingo-ling

Has anyone grappled with this term (which is all the rage in Taiwan at the moment)?

文創

It's short for 文化創意, which is part of 文化創意產業 - the so-called "cultural and creative industries". It's a term  that describes the nexus of the "creative industries" (e.g. the arts) and the partially overlapping "cultural industries" (museums, cultural tourism, etc.).

One problem is that it shortens elegantly into the term 文創 in  Chinese, and as a terse yet trendy term, it's thrown around with reckless abandon by Taiwanese writers in the tourism, arts, government and marketing sectors. But in English, it's quite clunky, and I can't think of a way to express it elegantly in, for example, the following sentence, where it's used twice:

.... 藉由跨界整合帶動產業發展,建構文創資訊交流的平台,同時也成為台灣培育未來文創人才的主要場所。

Like, what is a 文創人才, other than, say, an "artist"?

Any insight? Thanks

Someone working in the cultural industry?

同時也成為台灣培育未來文創人才的主要場所。

at the same time, they will be important for the influx of new talent into Taiwan's cultural sector.

Something like that. If you can't find one term to translate this, you need to be creative and translate it in a way that fits the sentence, even if that means you don't really translate the term.

Thanks for the posts. I have come across the abbreviated term before, but didn't fully understand.

Sometimes, though, as a foreign learner, even after knowing, it is difficult for me to grasp the elegance of some expressions. In this case, it is hard to get over a negative first impression of this abbreviation, due to an incorrect association with a term I see used in English occasionally, "cultural wound."

约翰好