Chinese-Forums

Words used more frequently in Chinese than English

lingo-ling

One job of a translator is to strive to prevent the translation from sounding like it was translated. In C->E translation, directly translating words that are used much more frequently in the Chinese than in English can make the translation sound too "Chinese".

Here are some words that in my experience are used far more frequently in Chinese than in English:

相關 relevant, related, pertinent

主動 to take the initiative, to take it upon oneself, proactive(ly). (In English, instead of saying "He took the initiative to ask questions in class" we will more likely say "He asked questions in class").

創新 innovation

負責 to be responsible for, to be in charge of... in English, we usually just come out and say it (Instead of "He is responsible for selling widgets" we'll say "He sells widgets.")

And the Chinese love their linking adverbials:
此外 besides this

另外 in addition
除了 ... 之外 besides..., ...; in addition to ..., ...
不但 ... 也 not only ... but also

另一方面 often inappropriately translated as "on the other hand"

Any others you can think of?

• Like 1

Are you looking at everyday conversation, or business contexts? I think I've heard some of these things being overused in English, particularly 'proactively', 'innovation', and 'responsible for'. I don't think a business report containing lots of these words would necessarily sound Chinese. However, if a friend said "I proactively cut the grass today", or "I am responsible for cleaning out the birdcage every week" it might sound strange.

Now this is a topic I have a profound interest in. :)

Off the top of my head:

和諧社會、被社會淘汰、報復社會等等: I posted about these and more common "society" concepts in Chinese on my blog here.

帶來快樂、帶來影響、帶來壓力等等: I posted about these Chinglish and more on my blog as well, here.

網民: netizens; I prefer Internet users

必不可少: indispensable; I prefer essential

豐富

普及

And a million others. As it happens I am writing a book on the subject.

• Like 1

Ah yes 网民. 'Netizen' just never made it as a word in English (or Dutch). Also n, as in 第n次 and such. The other day someone (who doesn't speak Chinese) used it in English and I was a bit surprised that he wasn't surprised that I knew the term.

And in the book I'm currently translating, the various terms of endearment. The main character spends time with family friends and it's all so-and-so姐, this-and-this哥哥.

• Like 1