Chinese-Forums

Difference between 以为、认为、觉得、想。

hoshinoumi

I know they all mean some kind of "to think" but I can´t tell the differences, nor when can I change them with no consecuences in a sentence.

Some examples:

1. 我一直(……)汉语是最难的语言,今天才知道原来汉语不是最难的。

2。你(……)我应该怎么做才比较好?

3。我(……)他是一个很好的人。

4。我(……)很热,你呢?

In 1 the answer should be 以为, can it be another one?

In 2: 觉得 ?

In 3: 想 ?

In 4: 认为 ?

2,3 and 4 are just a guess. I have no clue how to distinguish them.

And, finally, as a general question, how or where should I look for the difference between similar words in the future?

Like 望、愿望,想……

Thank you all :)

[just a learner, not a native speaker, but i'll put down my thoughts and welcome corrections as it's a good way to learn]

以为 is the most interesting word.  It means "I mistakenly believed" - so now actually you *don't* believe something that you did believe before.  As such #1 is where it would be used.  I love using this word now it seems to add a bit of drama to the sentence.  我以为他是好朋友,可是。。。。  In English you might say "I used to think" as in "I used to think carbohydrates were good for your health, but...".    You should know exactly when to use 以为 because the situation has changed and you have changed your belief.

认为 is like "believe" as in "I believe I can fly".  You believe something is true, intellectually.  Seems to be used a lot for factual discussion.  #3 because we are stating a belief about the nature of a person.

觉得 is like "feel".  You can feel warm, but you can't believe warm.  But you can both feel and believe someone is a good person,so I find that 觉得 can be used a lot to replace 认为.  Used to express opinions a lot.  #4 for sure.  I don't think using 觉得 in #3 is wrong but it's not the only fit.

想 is like "think" but it's kind of "think-want".  "I think I'll have ice-cream."  Can also be the act of thinking, as in "let me think" and even "I'm thinking of you (I miss you)".   I think it's #2 as we are describing a future action.

There is also 知道,认识,看 in common use.  

To learn these differences in future, I find this helpful:

- make a table of the confusing overlapping words, and have space to note tone, formality, equivalent concepts, examples, etc.

- look for definitions that are not so general - these words cover several concepts but are usually rooted in one place ("believe, think, want, recognize, know, used-to-believe, expect, consider", etc).  Use this as your base meaning, try to assign just one to the chinese word.  You can change them if you learn more.

- you can type "What is the difference between 认为 and 以为" into a search engine and you'll usually find hits.

- example sentences.  look for examples of each that illustrate the differences.  Test yourself on which one goes in the sentence.

• Like 4

First, “以为” means “thought”. It shows that what you thought or guessed is contrary to fact. “认为”means “think, it prefers to in one’s opinion, in one point of view”. The mood is stronger than “想” and “觉得”.

Eg:

1. 我以为他出差了,可是我刚知道他没出差。

Wǒ yǐwéi  tā  chūchāi  le,  kěshì wǒ gāng  zhīdào tā  méi  chūchāi .

I thought he was on a business trip, but I just came to know he didn’t. (What you thought is not the truth.)

2. 我认为她说的不对。

I think her words are not right. (It means in your point of view her words are wrong.)

So the first sentence you gave should be like this:

我一直以为汉语是最难的语言,今天才知道原来汉语不是最难的(What you thought is not the truth.)

Next, 想 and 觉得 are very similar when we express “think” as “feel like”, they are not as strong as 认为

Eg: 我想你是对的。Wǒ xiǎng nǐ shì duì de.  I think you are right or I feel like you are right.

= 我觉得你是对的。Wǒ juéde  nǐ shì duì de.

But 想 also means think of, would like to, miss

eg: 1. 这个问题我要想一想。zhè ge  wèntí wǒ yào xiǎng yi xiǎng . I need to think of this question.

2. 我想喝茶。wǒ xiǎng hēchá . I would like to drink some tea.

3. 我想我爸爸妈妈了。wǒ xiǎng wǒ bàba māma le . I miss my parents.

觉得means more about your feeling and sense.

Eg: 1.我觉得很冷。wǒ jué de  hěn lěng . I feel so cold.

2.我觉得胳膊有点痒痒。wǒ jué de  gēbo yǒudiǎn yǎngyang . I feel a little itchy in my arm.

So the other three sentences you gave---

认为/觉得我应该怎么做才比较好? --- Two answers

The first one 认为is more formal and stronger.

想/觉得/认为他是一个很好的人。Three answers

觉得很热,你呢?--- Only one answer

• Like 2

All good answers so far. When it comes to expressing your belief, I'd sum it up as:

我以为 = I believed, but turned out to be wrong

我认为 = It is my well-founded opinion that...

我想 = I think that... (often justified by some emotion)

我觉得 = I think that... (often justified by some experience)

The last two are very similar in this context, I might be reading too much into them.

以为 is the most interesting word.  It means "I mistakenly believed" - so now actually you *don't* believe something that you did believe before.

First, “以为” means “thought”. It shows that what you thought or guessed is contrary to fact.

我以为 = I believed, but turned out to be wrong

This is not always true. 以為 can be used in the same way as 認為.

• Like 1

Oh, yes, thanks a lot! Sometimes when people express their opinions they will also use 以为. This is a little special and to show modest way. And usually people speak 以为 to express 认为 in two situations.

1. in the ancient drama and TV. For example, a minister speaks his ideas to the emperor: 臣以为…” That means he thinks

2It will be also used in some formal situations nowadays, for example,我以为我们还是不去比较好(I dont think its good for us to go there).

We seldom speak in this way now, especially orally. The modest way we often speak is like followings. 我觉得...","我个人感觉...”“就我个人看法...”

Hope the words above are helpful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One more question about 以为 in the sense of "to mistakenly belief":

Most of you here say, it's being used to express a past misconception, as in "I mistakenly believed ... (but now I know better)".

But isn't it true that it can also be used to express a present misconception, as in "He mistakenly believes ... (but I know better)"?

Should 以为 only be used if somebody is factually wrong, or can it also be used to express that I really disagree with his viewpoint, as in "He thinks that 活着 is a bad movie (he's such a fool)"? 

No. it can't be used this way.

When you say something like "他以为《活着》不好看“, you are implying that "he is factually wrong". It sounds like you are so big a fan of 《活着》 and you are so mad him just because he doesn't like the movie.

Yes, as in 竊以為…… 

Exactly! "以为" may also simply mean "think" instead of "mistakenly think/thought", in a formal and humble fashion, though it's rarely used.

You can say something like "我以为,当前对我们来说最重要的是解决资金问题", period.

• Like 1