Chinese-Forums

Chinese translation for "spirituality"?

tooironic

Is there any Chinese equivalent for the term "spirituality"?

Wikipedia translates it as 灵性, but I'm not convinced. My Chinese-Chinese dictionary defines that term as 天赋的聪明才智 (innate wisdom and talent) and 指动物的某种感知力 (intelligence in animals).

Is 灵性 commonly understood as spirituality? Or is it an academic or technical meaning only?

"Spiritual" has multiple meanings in English. It could mean that one believes in the supernatural. Under this meaning, the Chinese word could be 迷信.

Or it could mean that one is an idealist and non-materialistic. Under this meaning, the Chinese word would be 理想主义.

The 21st Century E-C Dictionary gives the Chinese equivalent for these multiple meanings:

spir∙i∙tu∙al

ADJ.

1 精神的,非物质的

2 精神上的,心灵的

3 灵魂的;唯灵论的

4 超自然的

5 招魂术的

6 超越世俗的,高尚的,崇高的

7 智慧的,智力的

8 感情上的,情感的

9 神的;神圣的;圣灵的

10 教会的,教堂的;宗教的

神圣的 seems like a good general-purpose translation. When someone says they are 'spiritual' that means they believe there is something inherently 神圣的 about life and they feel a connection with a kind of 神圣的精神。

I remember in the Chinese translation of The Power of Now (当下的力量) it was often translated as 灵性. I don't think 灵性 is quite as broad as spiritual but suffices in most cases.

tooironic,

I have an idea. Perhaps you can write some examples,I mean simple sentences with spiritual, spiritually and spirituality seperately in English. And then we try to translate them into Chinese in different situations in order to make the meaning of the word more clearer. I think context is necessary for this abstract word.

• Like 1

As someone who encounters this term on an almost daily basis in both English and Chinese, 灵性 is the default and most accepted equivalent for the definition of "spirituality" that is in opposition to "carnality" or "fleshly thinking". A sensitivity or attachment to religious values, one that is opposed to over-reliance on materialism, is probably the definition I'd go with.

I distinguish this distinction from the "sacred/secular, profane" [神圣/世俗] distinction, which is distinguished from the "holy/unholy" [圣洁] distinction. I also appreciate that these distinctions and usages represent a small community of language users, and as such are not necessarily recognised by the wider community. In fact, I'd think those language users that are familiar with the term 灵性 are a minority.

According to zdic.net, this definition of 灵性 I come across most often dates to at least the 明朝:

特指对宗教的悟性。 明 陈汝元 《金莲记·郊遇》:“自家叫做 佛印 ,生来有些灵性,只为了悟一心,因此削光两鬢。”

As "spiritual" has a much broader scope than "spirituality", especially in its range of referents, it is "spiritual" that will have a wide range of Chinese equivalents.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

By the way, today I happened to be looking into the Chinese definition of 精神生活, and 國語辭典 suggested this: 物質生活以外的心靈生活。如宗教、藝術、思想等生活。Could it be that 精神生活, as flowertea was suggesting earlier, is an equivalent for "spirituality"? They seem very similar, though perhaps the only difference is that while 精神生活 sounds like natural Chinese, "spirituality" can sound trite depending on the context.