Chinese-Forums

心理素質 and 文化素質 in English?

tooironic

Anyone have an idea how to translate 心理素質 and 文化素質 in English? Or is there an equivalent at all?

The best I can come up with is:

心理素質:strength of mind; fortitude

文化素質:cultural knowledge/proficiency

Any other suggestions?

In my mind, I usually think of 素質 as either integrity, or character (in the "builds character" sense).  I definitely think that 素質 by itself implies good quality, as in "有素質的人" being a compliment,

So you *could* think of it as psychological integrity and cultural integrity.

But I think your original translations are probably pretty much correct, especially if those are attributes being used to describe an individual.

• 5 weeks later...

From a source: Chinese christian theology is male dominated as is "the Christian space, one in which a ‘rational’ church leadership provides guidance through scripture, or words, rather than Christian feelings.This espousing of  male-centered rationality can be seen in many urban churches and is closely tied up with the concept of suzhi 素质, a term that features heavily in Christian writings. Raising the suzhi of congregations, of the pastor, of theological training, of the cultural level, and of particular social groups targeted in evangelising efforts, is central to the concerns expressed in Christian publications and discussions. In this discourse, low suzhi seems to be associated with the rural, the female, the migrant, the ‘outsider’, the overly spiritual, the irrational and thus corresponds to similar forms of differentiation in other sectors of Chinese society.