Chinese-Forums

adoption vs foster care in Chinese

tooironic

How does one translate "adoption" and "foster care" in Chinese?

My understanding is they are often both expressed as 領養 or 收養.

But in English they are different concepts - adoption refers to taking a child under one's care and (usually) becoming their permanent and legal guardian, while foster care is often temporary, with the children often not calling their new carers mum and dad.

So with this in mind could I translate adoption as 領養/收養 and foster care as 寄養? Does that convey their meanings in English accurately?

One more question - what is the difference between 領養 and 收養? I could never work that out.

Cheers!

PS. Some additional, related vocabulary:

養子 adopted child

養父母 adoptive parents; foster parents

You've got the terms right. I think I might have said this before, but for stuff like this it's very useful to look to Hong Kong government sites - Google "site:gov.hk foster", then click on the link to the Chinese version of the page. Obviously there could be differences in terminology between HK and the mainland (or wherever) but I reckon nine times out of ten you'll be fine. There's a wealth of easily-found bilingual material, whereas mainland info is much harder to find, and often the concepts just aren't there. I just googled 北京 寄养 and the results were all for pet fostering. 

As I understand it, 领养 is the more official and formal one, where you take 'possession' - guardianship, I guess - of the child. 收养 is maybe closer to 'to take in'. You adopt a child from the government orphanage, while if your parents pass away you might be taken in by family friends, and maybe later go through a formal adoption process.