Chinese-Forums

Sell hair to make 'anjisu'--what's that?

smalldog

While having my hair cut today the hairdresser was talking about how he can make money by selling hair cuttings. Not to make wigs, but to make 'anjisu'. I presume jisu=激素=hormone, but what kind of hormone? An is first tone, I think.

Just curious about where my hair will end up! The going rate is only 0.3-0.4 yuan/jin, by the way.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes it looks like it is 氨基酸

Amino acids? Sounds about right. Still not sure what that'd be used for though. It sounded like something medicinal, and I believe 补偿 (supplement) was mentioned.

• 1 year later...

I have a friend who once asked the barber who cut his hair what they did with all the hair clippings. The barber told him that he saves it all and sells it to a person (a middle man??) that uses it to make MSG.

Hair contains amino acids and MSG is a kind of protein produced in the lab.

• 2 weeks later...

MSG = Monosodiumglutamate(?) which is the sacks of white powder that the chinese always add to their food "to make it tasty". It is a flavour enhancer and is blamed for all kinds of things in the west.Restaurants here use sacks of the stuff.

I doubt whether your hair is used for making it, but I suppose anything is possible.