Chinese-Forums

Help me choose baby girl names!

msruck

i need native chinese speaker opinions on the below names for my baby daughter.  the chinese name will be a middle name and she has an english first name.  i wanted the chinese name though to work well in other countries in case she decides to use it later in life, and also so it will travel easily.

I speak chinese well myself, but am chinese-american so don't know how names come across in asia.  i want names that sound like they could be native chinese names (not just transliterations of a foreign name), and also the name should not have any wierd meanings that would cause embarrassment among native chinese speakers.  am open to other suggestions as well.  as you can see I am partial to names starting with M-, but also open to others.

please tell me your favorite three names!  and if there are any you think i should definitely cross off the list, please let me know!

玛日 - Mari
玛雅 - Maya
米卡 - Mika
幂卡 - Mika
米雅 - Miya
幂雅 - Miya
娥米 - Emi
娥幂 - Emi
米拉 - Mila
幂拉 - Mila
米娜 - Mina
幂娜 - Mina
敏娜 - Minna
莉娜 - Lina
汉娜 - Hanna
丹雅 - Danya
安雅 - Anya

I definitely don't like 瑪日. It sounds rude. :D I like Mari though, and if it is Japanese it is 真理, which I like a lot. (PS - but of course the Mandarin "ri" is very different from the Japanese "ri".)

Among the names listed I like 冪雅 (also consider 糸雅), 敏娜 (I always like 敏 and 明 as names) and 安雅.

No expert but... I'd save... 莉娜 Lina (looks like a real name, google says at least in Japan there's someone famous with that name), 玛雅 Maya (same reason with the previous one) and 丹雅 (Danya) because I like it... not sure if legit name, but maybe 丹 is used in boys' names...

Let's cross from the list the first one... Mari written with those characters looks like a curse word. should be 玛丽, maybe. I don't think it's wise to put 日 in a name.

I had a female classmate named 丹. But yeah, it's more common in boys' names.

I quite like 糸雅, although it might be misspelled a lot if she ends up using it in regular Chinese-language life.

There is a (very) famous person called 王丹, a famous actor called 甄子丹, and a world badminton champion called 林丹. They are guys.

PS - I agree that 丹 is common in female names too, such as 彭丹.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the responses!! That is really helpful. So glad to know I should cross Mari off the list as that was a front runner before. I certainly don't want her to have a rude name!

I wanted to add two more to the list also.

婵雅 - Chanya

韩娜 - Hanna

翰娜 - Hanna

And I was wondering if anyone has opinions on Maya or Mika? No one mentioned them yet so I'm wondering how they sound to native speakers. Thank you again for all your help!!

卡 is a rather uncommon character to use in a name, I think. To me it makes the name look like the transliteration of a foreign name. I don't think it's bad, but it's not very Chinese. (I'm not a native speaker though.)

• 1 month later...

Hello, I wrote for name help for our daughter a month ago.  A lot of people responded, so thank you so much.  It was very helpful.  We still haven't quite pinned it down.  But the choices have narrowed down!!

Some more information...The last name is .

梅 - Mei (in English, May)

霾 雅  or 梅 雅 - Maiya / Meiya (in English, Maia or Maya)

From this small selection, what sounds best (to a native speaker)?

Does having only Mei as a given name sound a bit trite and insubstantial?

Is this character Mai 霾 too unusual to use for a name?

And would it be strange for her to only have a two-character name 黄 梅 if her sibling has a three-character name?  I'm not concerned about them having a matching generational name character.

Thanks for all your help!

I know of a girl named 张梅, but 黄梅 reads to me like 'yellow plum' and seems weird. So what Skylee said, basically.

A two-character name while her sibling has a three-character name is a bit unusual, but not unheard-of, and I doubt anyone would raise more than half an eyebrow. What is her sibling's name, if you don't mind posting it?

sister's name is 玉娜

just to clarify, 黃 is the family name (not part of the given name).  If 黃 is family name and 梅 is given name, is 黃梅 still very strange?

The only other name we are considering now for the young one is Liya, 丽娅 or or 莉雅...

just to clarify, 黃 is the family name (not part of the given name). If 黃 is family name and 梅 is given name, is 黃梅 still very strange?

Not sure how you would define "very strange". I would not want to be named 黃梅. But different people have different tastes.

PS - I think 麗雅 and 莉雅 are fine. They are normal names. Personally I find 婭 pretentious (also take a look at the meaning http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?wdqb=%E5%A8%85), but perhaps this is just me.

just to clarify, 黃 is the family name (not part of the given name). If 黃 is family name and 梅 is given name, is 黃梅 still very strange?

黄 is still part of the name, and you would often see both characters together. It sounds weird to me. Like, 贾 is a normal surname. 聪明 is a normal name (rather 土, but not bad per se). But although both these names are fine, you don't want to name your kid 贾聪明.

To me, 梅雅/美雅 and 丽雅/莉雅 all sound good.