Chinese-Forums

the difference between 并 and 又

sunshine86

We were talking in class about these two words, but I am not sure if I understand the difference correctly. The explanation I heard was that  is used when there is an actual presumption of the opposite, so when I say 她并不漂亮, somebody must have said before that she is beautiful and I am not agreeing with that. And 她又不漂亮 is more neutral. but what is then the difference between 

她又不漂亮  and 她不漂亮 ? Or is there a better explanation about the meaning of 并 and 又?

Thank you

There're several different meanings for 并:

①合到一起:合~。combine ; merge
②两种或两种以上的事物平排着:~列。abreast
③表示不同事物同时存在,不同的事情同时进行:相提~论。 Different things coexist or proceed at the same time.
④用在否定词前,加强否定的语气,略带反驳的意味:我~没有去。Emphasize or  strengthen the tone before a negative word.   This is the meaning for “并” when you say 她并不漂亮。 It is often used in writing.
⑤连词。并且,表示进一步:此决议请传阅~执行。and;also; as well as

Of course, there're more meanings for “又“,but we will often say 她既不聪明,又不漂亮 (She is neither smart nor beautiful). If you say 她又不漂亮 alone,"又"  is used to strengthen the tone, often showing the disapproval of the speaker in a dialogue.

Thank you for your answer. But in these sentences you gave for both, “并” and "又" the explanation, that they strengthen the tone of the speaker, 又 shows disapproval with the speaker, but 并 also, or not? The meanings of 她又不漂亮  and 她不漂亮 are not the same, are they?

"并” states one's view, it might show the disapproval from the speaker, but it's just a statement. “又” is used to disapprove others' opinion, often in a dialogue.  她不漂亮  is a statement. 她又不漂亮 is the speaker's disapproval to others.

她并不漂亮 She is actually not pretty at all. (Said when one might perhaps have thought that she was pretty, or at least a little bit pretty.)

她又不漂亮 And she's not pretty either; She's not even pretty. (In addition to possible other shortcomings, she's also not pretty.)

她不漂亮 kind of invites a 'but': She's not pretty, but I like her/she's smart/there's something about her that's still attractive.

I might have something wrong here, not a native speaker.

#4 is right.

她不漂亮 emphasizes a statement. Just your judgement.

她并不漂亮 emphasizes a disagreement.  Another person thinks that she is pretty but you do not agree. The emphasis is your disagreement.

她又不漂亮 emphasizes an attitude. Compared with '她不漂亮', there is more dislike.  Compared with '她并不漂亮', the subjectivity is stronger.

But I have to say, in different cases, the mood of these sentences may have a few changes.