Chinese-Forums

Chinese translation for "tournament"?

tooironic

Is there a common Chinese word which coneys the meaning of "tournament" in English? I'm not just talking about 比赛 or 竞赛 here but a word in Chinese which can mean "a series of contests between a number of competitors, competing for an overall prize".

Your definition of tournament seems to lean towards a particular type of tournament, but there are so many different kinds. Group tournaments, knock-out tournaments/elimination tournaments, etc. The definition you mentioned to be honest I feel is already covered by 比赛.

The words I can think of to talk about contests off the top of my head are:

比赛

竞赛

联赛

锦标赛

冠军赛

系列赛

比赛 and 竞赛 to me both can mean match or tournament depending on the type of contest. I generally assume a 歌唱比赛 or 舞蹈比赛 are going to be tournaments with rounds and whatnot, and I would be very confused if a 高尔夫比赛 was not a tournament.

联赛 is specifically a league match/tournament.

锦标赛 and 冠军赛 to me are pretty much the same thing, and are matches/tournaments that fit your description above except that they are generally only open to people who are already champions.

系列赛 is usually 世界XX系列赛, like "World Poker Series" or whatever, which to me is equivalent to a tournament but I suppose semantics may differ slightly.

• Like 3