Chinese-Forums

盲审 in English?

tooironic

Does anyone know the English equivalent for 盲审 (if there is one)?

中文定义: 一种组织专家组评审的制度:就是匿名送审,意味着评阅导师不知道论文作者是谁。

Basically, a team of experts are called upon to examine an academic thesis and give comments before it can be approved. The evaluation process is anonymous, so the professors do not know who wrote the thesis they end up reading.

I've seen the translation "concealed evaluation" online but I'm not sure if this is something that actually exists in the English-speaking world. I've also seen "blind trial" but that sounds weird to me. Any ideas? Thanks.

Thanks everyone. I think "blind test" and "anonymous evaluation" sound about right. It is the similar to blind testing in the sciences, but not exactly the same, so the translation should be different.

Isn't this the <peer review> process. At least that comes to mind after reading your original post. My understanding of blind testing, etc., has to do with preventing participants in a project from being influenced by the test itself.

Anyway, this was my first impression.

"Blind testing" is usually used when the test involves something in the nature of an experiment.

So when school exams are evaluated anonymously, it's known as "blind grading" not "blind testing" to avoid confusion.

Here, I would probably call this "blind evaluation" or perhaps "blind thesis review" since the papers aren't actually being graded.

("Anonymous peer review" is used to describe the evaluation of papers submitted for publication in journals; not only would it be confusing to use the term here, but the reviewers, who presumably already hold their doctorates, aren't really "peers" of the author.)

• Like 2

Angelina: 答辯 is usually translated as "thesis defence".

889, thank you for your input, I think "blind thesis review" is an excellent translation, though I have no idea if it is actually used in the English speaking world.