Chinese-Forums

The surname 万俟, and 百家姓

dwq

万俟's Wikipedia entry asserts:『「万」不是簡體字,不應轉寫為「萬俟」』, but did not list any reference. Can somebody confirm this?

I found this page stating 『「萬俟」,複姓』 apparently from 李卓敏編纂:《李氏中文字典》(第二版)(香港:中文大學出版社,1989) p.340. I don't have this dictionary on-hand so I can't verify it.

Of course, apparaently 3 other references state 『万俟(複姓)』 .

Also, it is one of the 複姓 in 百家姓, but mostly I can find simplified Chinese text files and no scans of published copies. If anyone has access to a published, traditional Chinese copy, do you mind looking it up and see whether it says 万俟 or 萬俟? (A photo of the publisher and the relevant page would be really great, too)

Nothing in 康熙 says that 萬 was pronounced 莫北切 or something like that. And under 万,

• 【集韻】密北切。万俟,複姓。俟音其,今讀木其。北齊特進万俟普。
  • Like 2

Found one scanned copy of 百家姓 online, not saying it is authoritative, but at least it is written by a (apparaently) famous calligrapher.

http://www.360doc.com/content/12/0415/07/5138922_203681612.shtml

This blog entry discusses the most mis-converted surnames from Simplified copies of 百家姓 online. Note that its text doesn't completely agree with other online copies e.g. Wikisource (Actually, Wikipedia doesn't agree with Wikisource either :-( ), but the ones the blog discusses makes sense to me.