Chinese-Forums

Diàntī

Bigdumogre

I get that in theory it could refer to any staircase with a rail, but I've just never heard it used like that. Meaning is use. I mean, if you only look at the etymology of words, "elevator" and "escalator" should both mean the same in English, because "elevate" and "escalate" both mean to make something higher.

I'm sure there are many things one may have never heard as a non-native. I would never absolutely trust my limited experience in any language as a non-native, or even think a native is being a smartass when they direct me to something I didn't think I was asking for... Seems a bit arrogant.

Here's a link for you: http://baike.baidu.com/link?url=qqdptc85C53SsweqhzaT2ndbQDrpL9gslUOLA8LOaUp5cnGAWzQogZNv6yg9TYAifvCpjqIAQo8CJMtLNRfC7a

It says a 楼梯 + 扶手 = 扶梯.

This could be an escalator, a staircase with a handrail, or even a ladder. There are images of both an escalator and a staircase with a handrail. 

Then there is a section about 自动扶梯 specifically.

So, yes, 扶梯 can refer to any of those three things in normal speech, and it's usually obvious depending on the situation. I have a 扶梯 at home I use to dust the lights. I've even been asked to bring someone the 楼梯... They didn't mean an escalator nor a staircase. :wink: 

Again, to be sure to get what you're asking for if it's an escalator, it's best to say 自动扶梯, or 直达电梯 for an elevator.

May I change the subject a little bit or ask a related question?

What do you call outdoor steps like those going up a sacred mountain or to someone's famous tomb or a temple or memorial building. I've been corrected and told it's not 楼梯, but I can't remember what would be better.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I would never absolutely trust my limited experience in any language as a non-native, or even think a native is being a smartass when they direct me to something I didn't think I was asking for... Seems a bit arrogant.

I wouldn't think they were being a smartass because I assumed it could never be used to mean other things, more because, as you say, it's normally obvious what kind of 扶梯 is being requested. If I was asking in a shopping mall, I'd obviously want to know the way to the escalator.

Anyway, I didn't know it was regularly used in those other ways, 长知识了!

• 3 weeks later...

Was in Taiwan last week and saw this sign at a HSR stop (High Speed Rail.) Snapped a photo with my phone because it had the words for elevator and escalator side by side.

The sign used 电梯 for elevator and 电扶梯 for escalator.

post-20301-0-52195900-1443066423_thumb.jpg