Chinese-Forums

劳驾 - literal meaning

rtf

Hello,everyone!

I`ve been using 劳驾 (Excuse me! May I trouble you?) for ages but only today I got curious how this meaning can be derived from the two constituents 'work hard + harness (a horse)'? Is it like 'Excuse me! Please,harness my hourse'? Then what does it have to do with 劳驾 in a dialog like this: 

同志,您下车吗?

我不下

劳驾,我们下车

The person addressed must be in someone`s way,so the latter says smth like 'Excuse me! Please,harness my horse, as I`m getting off',which is not the case,I`m afraid.

Would appreciate if someone shared his idea.

Thank you.

• Like 2

"老北京一般麻煩別人的時候都會説“勞駕”,這個詞是怎麼來的呢?

勞駕是北京人經常挂在嘴邊兒上的一句禮貌用語,它算是地道的北京土話。勞駕一詞是由“勞”引申出來的。 “勞”字本是北京人常用的客氣詞兒,有煩勞、勞動、勞人的含義。

老北京人在請求別人幫助或搭把手的時候,一般會説:“勞您費費神。”或“這事還得勞您跑一趟。”有時也直接説“勞動”,比如:“勞動您把東西挪一挪。”或“師傅,勞動您幫我抬一下兒。”

勞駕這個詞兒是怎麼來的呢?老北京的代步工具多是馬車騾車以及轎子或騎驢,“駕”最早是趕車和趕馬的術語,以後成了敬詞兒,如“駕到”、“大駕光臨”等,據説把“勞”與“駕”糅到一起,成為客氣話的最初是老北京趕車和趕馬的,以後推而廣之,成為大眾的日常用語。

勞駕,有的為加重語氣和更敬一步,也被北京人説成“勞您一駕”或“勞您大駕”。在北京,勞駕的應用極廣,求人幫忙,借東西,請人搭把手,請人讓路,出門打聽道兒,都會用到它。一聲勞駕,會讓人覺得您很懂禮貌。"

I'm with Imron here.  Chinese forums is the only place I've ever seen anyone use 劳驾.

I was referring more to the:

同志,您下车吗?

In mainland China at least, what you will actually hear in real life (if you hear anything at all) is just: 下车吗?

劳驾 I've heard quite a bit, but yes, I think it's more a northern thing.