Chinese-Forums

Is my chinese name harmonious?

Hello ! 

I’m a Belgian-Vietnamese-Chinese girl and I would like some advices about my Chinese name. 

I already have an official vietnamiese given name which can be translated by ”(shining) gold” and I would like my Chinese name to have more or less the same meaning. 

My Chinese family name is 易 and a friend of mine suggested my given name to be 鑫. So my entire name would be 易鑫. What do you think of it? Thank you very much!

If I'm not mistaken, most Vietnamese names can be written in characters as well. Do you know the characters for your name? Perhaps they are already a suitable Chinese name.

Unless you'd prefer to get a related-but-new name in Chinese of course.

• Helpful 2

I can’t believe I haven’t think about it before... especially as I did that for my last name.. Thank you ! 

My middle name in Vietnamese is Tuyet so it can be 雪 or 绝 (more likely) and my given name is Kim so 金.

Is 易雪金 or 易绝金 suitable ?

14 hours ago, Alison999 said:

My Chinese family name is 易 and a friend of mine suggested my given name to be 鑫. So my entire name would be 易鑫. What do you think of it?

鑫 is a frequently-used and good-sounding name. Combines well with 易, at least to my ear. 

I once had a teacher in Beijing who told me  her parents took her to the fortune teller 算命 when she was about 6 for a name consultation. He suggested changing her given name to 鑫 in order to "introduce more prosperity." The parents approved but the girl was unhappy because the new name had so many strokes (24) and she had to learn how to write it by hand. 

(Disclaimer: I'm not a native speaker of Chinese, and my opinions on this subject must be taken with a grain of salt.)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alison999 said:

My middle name in Vietnamese is Tuyet so it can be 雪 or 绝 (more likely) and my given name is Kim so 金.

Is 易雪金 or 易绝金 suitable ?

Are you tuyết (雪) or tuyệt (绝)? 

Honestly, 易绝金 doesn't sound great to me, mainly because 绝 has a negative connotation in Chinese. 

45 minutes ago, Michaelyus said:

Are you tuyết (雪) or tuyệt (绝)? 

Honestly, 易绝金 doesn't sound great to me, mainly because 绝 has a negative connotation in Chinese

My two sisters’ middle name is tuyết , so mine should be this one either but I’ve always find « strange » putting gold and snow together...

So, is 易雪金 quite good you? And what do you think of 易鑫?

Thank you all for your replies ! 

1 hour ago, Alison999 said:

I’ve always find « strange » putting gold and snow together...

Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow. 

(Frank Zappa)

;-)