Chinese-Forums

Random Character of the Day

Tomsima

奁 lian2 a bridal trousseau.

Found it in 婚姻的故事:

虽然时代已经不是旧的时代了,但是在那个古老的地方,以及我结婚所要生活的那个家庭,母亲多多少少也为我准备了一些嫁奁:四铺四盖,四季衣服,四只箱子,一盒首饰,以及零星的脸盆、痰盂、台灯,甚至连马桶都配送了。

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

疴 ke1, disease. According to the dictionaries I searched, it means the same as 病 with the only difference that this word is used mostly in literary works. Here is the sentence I found it at:

静静地做自发的情感的养疴。

@DlezcanoThis character is often used in the phrase '沉疴痼疾,积重难返'. '沉疴' means a chronic disease that is difficult to cure. For the meaning of '沉疴痼疾,积重难返', you can read: [link] https://zhidao.baidu.com/question/1185059938729256739.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1

Not so much a character but a pronunciation: 色 pronounced with the thickest Dongbei accent and emphasis becomes shǎir. Heard in The Long Season. That show is a wealth of erhua anyway, but this one I found extra amazing.

• Like 1

Im not sure which one is more 'correct', but I know 骰 is also used to write the dice meaning of 色, and is also a homograph, pronounced tou2 in addition to shai3 :) I'm guessing 骰 is more for dice that are white/ivory (ie. 'bone-like'), perhaps a native speaker could advise?

• Good question! 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

犀牛

turned up in 虎兕出于柙, a quote from 孔子曰:‘虎兕出于柙,龟玉毁于椟中,是谁之过与?’, which i understand means something like 'the person in charge should be held responsible for what went wrong' (though correct me if the nuance is wrong).

Cangjie code is 尸尸山山 (CJ5) or 尸山尸山 (CJ3)

ksnip_20240826-215939.thumb.png.b843228082451a317297fc834e02d684.png

On 8/27/2024 at 11:53 AM, Tomsima said:

Dictionaries say its not used as a character in its own right these days

I believe them! Only found it in passing while looking up entries for guàn (I wanted the more common 盥!).

(I've updated my earlier post now, also to reflect a third meaning.)

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 11:42 AM, sanchuan said:

I wanted the more common 盥

25th character from this thread too, I first learned it in 2019 and have only come across it maybe 2-3 times since then, not too common!

Today's character is:

zuò

'sacrificial meat'

> turns up in episode 14 of 延禧攻略 (watching a second time round for the 成语) where semi-raw pork is served to the Manchu royal family and their retainers as part of their Manchu ancestral traditions. Screenshot included:

Screenshotfrom2024-08-2720-31-45.thumb.png.786b40f9792ab2155488542856caf736.png

• 2 weeks later...

彗 huì

Confusing pedigree, this one.

- It used to mean 帚 zhòu (broom) and, in this context, it also used to be pronounced suì.

- It's the top component in 慧 huì (intelligent) and it happens to mean 'intelligent', too, but only in the word 彗齐 huìqí.

- The traditional variant is 篲, but only in its meaning of 'broom'.

- It's nowadays mostly used to mean 'comet', in which case it's sometimes (mis)spelled 慧. 

I came across it written, was actually looking up another character with the same pinyin and it caught my eye being unfamiliar and complex. The examples I saw sound like quite a common colloquial usage but not one any of the Chinese people I've asked know. Perhaps some different region.