Chinese-Forums

Zhongwen extension: built-in word list feature

mungouk

Just in case anyone else has been as blissfully unaware as I have...

I've been using the Zhongwen extension for Chrome for three years and I can't believe I only just found this by accident! 

1697490988_Screenshot2020-05-21at13_44_02.png.338c045eca54697cdc3164609d985831.png

TL;DR — press 'r' to save the currently-viewed entry into a word list, which can also be saved to a file for import into Anki or a spreadsheet.

(It's also available for Firefox.)

https://github.com/cschiller/zhongwen/#built-in-word-list

Built-in Word List

So now that you can look up all those words when reading Chinese web sites, wouldn't it be nice to add the new words you want to remember to some list that you can use for studying? Zhongwen let's you do that, too! It has a built- in word list feature. You just need to press R (short for "remember") on your keyboard and the entries you're looking at in the currently opened pop-up window will be added to the built-in word list. How do you get to see this list? It's easy, you need to use press the Alt and the W key on your keyboard (Alt + W). The word list will then open in a new tab.

(To open up the word-list on a Mac it's shift-option-w instead... once you're in there you can select the rows you want and hit the green button to save to a file.)

• Helpful 1