Chinese-Forums

Help with purchasing an erhu!

FrivilousForte

I've been playing the violin for a little more than ten years now, and I've come to love the beautiful music of the erhu. I'd really like to purchase one and learn to play.

I have searched around the Internet and am not sure which ones have good quality and/or are good for beginners to learn on. My preference is a high quality instrument, with clear pitch in both the high and low registers. Money is not an issue. If anyone could direct me to a music store that does shipments or a reliable site selling quality erhus, I would appreciate it!

By the way, I live in the Chicago area of Ilinois...if anyone knows of any stores there selling erhus, I'd love to hear about it. ^^''

• 2 months later...

I purchased my erhu (black sandalwood) from www.cadenzamusic.biz, a company in Singapore. I have since ordered several other erhus and a zhonghu for myself and my teacher, and we were very happy with the quality and price. They seem to send instruments selected by people who know how to choose well.

I also saw and played some excellent erhus at a music store in San Francisco, the Chinese Art and Music Center www.baymusic.net or www.camcsf.com. I think with them though you would need to travel to their store near Golden Gate Park and make your own choice.

Best wishes,

David

davidmdahl@hotmail.com