Chinese-Forums

風流

Ian_Lee

Does anybody know how to translate 風流 properly into English?

Chairman Mao hummed: "數風流人物, 還看今朝"

But I don't think Mao was really eligible to be called 風流. Out of so many historical figures, I think only Zhou Yu of the Three Kingdoms period can be called 風流.

Lately 風流 has to be more related to sexual relationship. When Jackie Chan was discovered to have an out-of-wedlock daughter, Jackie explained that he was merely 風流.

But a sarcastic critic (James Wong) commented that if Jackie merely had an intimate girl-friend, then he was 風流. But since he had an out-of-wedlock daughter, then Jackie was no more than 下流!

Jackie was speechless after he heard such comment :wall

I guess 風流 carries a meaning more than "loose" even in its modern term context.

When a guy describes another guy as 風流, his words are not unapproving but instead they are full of envy.

Even when a girl describes another guy as 風流, she (except his wife or girl friend) also sounds more like admiring than demeaning.

Well, I would say JFK was really 風流. Pre-Lewinsky Clinton was also 風流. But Post-Lewinsky Clinton was definitely 下流!

Well, I would say JFK was really 風流. Pre-Lewinsky Clinton was also 風流. But Post-Lewinsky Clinton was definitely 下流!

I agree. JFK did it in a way so the public did not know much about his private affairs. He had all the ladies chasing after him.

Clinton was more overtly open (stupidly so) in his marital affairs. As a result everyone knew about his marital encounters. Instead of being shrewd like Kennedy, he went chasing after the girl.

• 2 years later...

Does anybody know how to translate 風流 properly into English?

I think in the historical past, 風流 applies to a "mover/shaker" in history, a much admired powerful personage -- a neutral term without bad connotations. (I guess the 風流 refers to the attendant fame.)

More recently, 風流 has become a "lady's man".

Lately, I believe 風流 has degenerated into the equivalent of "playboy".

More comments on this anyone? I think sometimes all three variants may still be active when applied to someone, leaving the dangling ambiguity as onus for the reader to resolve and decide.

I think 风流 should not be translated alone as a single word. In my opinion, 风流 should be translated with 人物, i.e, take 风流人物 as a phrase. According to the contexts, Chairman Mao mentioned a lot of heroic figure, like 秦王汉武,唐宗宋祖, 成吉思汗, which shows he wanted to take them as reference substances. And then, this 风流人物 is an echo (文学上的首尾呼应) to those famous historic and heroic figures.

俱往矣,

数风流人物,

还看今朝

All’s gone!

Who’re true heroes?

The men of these days!

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...