Chinese-Forums

歇后语

LiYuanXi

I think that 歇后语 are interesting and funny! I have got some interesting ones here for you to guess the answer.

和尚打伞--

茅厕门口挂绣球--

寺里起火--

棺材里放屁--

强盗照镜子--

Anybody got anymore interesting Xie Hou Yu to share?

无法(发)无天

臭美……

妙哉(庙灾)

臭死人

贼头贼脑

事实上,即使对于中国人来说,歇后语也是一种很难掌握的东西,因为数量实在太大,而且由于不够书面化,不如成语常用。

Actually, to handle 歇后语 is difficult even for a Chinese(at least I think so, i hardly use them in my daily life). for there are too many of them, and they are not so formal, not so frequently used as 成语.

and i'll try to explan these ones...

1.无法无天:“法”和“发”发音接近,有些地区干脆不区分。"法" and "发" differs from each other in tone. their pronounciations are similar, and in some areas in china, people pronounce them as "fa3"

2.不容易用英语解释,忽略。It's difficult to explan in English for me, ignore it...

3.“庙灾”和“妙哉”发音完全相同。“哉”是语气词,用于补足音节或者强感叹、强调,无实义。Their pronounciations are completely same."哉" has no actual meaning and is not(or hardly) used in morden Chinese. It is used in ancient(or traditional? i don't know what you say...Anyway we call it 古文 or 文言文) Chinese to emphase or 感叹(i don't know how to express...)

4.一种用于强调的 语法现象。A kind of 'special' grammar, used to stress(emphase?).

5.表示一个人看上去像贼。the word means that a person looks like a thief(ie cunning,sly)

By the way, pardon my for my poor English

• 8 years later...

茅厕门口挂绣球--臭美……

2.不容易用英语解释,忽略。It's difficult to explan in English for me, ignore it...

I think I can explain this one.

"It's like hanging an hydrangea (pretty flower) on the door of an outhouse--stinky beauty! 臭美 also means "smug"...used for someone who is too proud of themselves, particularly someone too proud of how good they look or how pretty/handsome they are.

So you would use this 歇后语 to deride someone who thinks their own poop doesn't stink.

I think.