Chinese-Forums

2002 Movie, Beijing Bicycle

crouchingdragon

when I read "shiqisuide" the first thing that comes to mind is "shi2qi1 sui4 de" (十七岁的) which means 17 years old。 dan1che1 (单车) means bicycle.

So I'm guessing it would mean 17 year old bicycle. Why it would be named that, I don't know.

Yes, the title is Seventeen-year-old bicycle. The protagonists are seventeen (I suppose, although their age is not mentioned) and the plot is about a bicycle that is very important for both of them. Well if you've seen the movie it makes sense, and if you haven't, go see it, it's good.

• 2 years later...

Hello all,

I just watched this film and feel very much that I have just wasted two hours of my life.:mrgreen: The words depressing, slow and a sense of injustice come to mind.

I'm wondering if I missed something? (Quite possibly)

Did anyone feel differently?????

Why are the English and Chinese titles so different?

Cheers

Chaxiu

I'm wondering if I missed something? (Quite possibly)
I don't think so. I think the film just wanted to show that sometimes the world is a shitty place and it really makes you feel that.

I'm still in two minds about whether or not I like this movie. As a story, I definitely don't like it, it just makes me angry and depressed. However, it's not often that a movie can evoke such strong feelings and emotions, and so I can appreciate that this movie does a good job of that, even though the feelings and emotions are not ones that I particularly like.