Chinese-Forums

recommendations??

葛亞輝(美國人)

葛亞輝(美國人)

OK, so I'm a beginning chinese student (one year in), so I don't understand everything that's being said yet, but I'm looking for some good chinese music to download. In american terms, I listen to alt/indie rock, classic rock, and hip-hop. However I'm open to anything with a good melody and actually the two chinese songs that I do have and like currently are both very girly pop type things, which is sort of embarassing (我是男人):

苏慧伦-不想想太多

王筝-我们都是好孩子

I just got those randomly downloading songs from Baidu and keeping the ones that sounded decent, but I'm looking for a way to get music thats a little less haphazard, and I don't read enough chinese to understand all the song titles (I downloaded those two becuase I could understand the titles).

anyway, thoughts? especially songs I could download from Baidu or some other easily accessible site like that? or that someone could send?

多谢多谢!

have you heard of PK 14? They are a beijing band i believe, and they sort of have a similar sound to Fugazi. If you are in Beijing you should check out Xin Jie Kou just south of Beishida, there are a good number of music stores down that way with a good selection of 摇滚乐。pm me if you can not find the band online.

Two places I'd recommend you start are

a) Modern Sky's compilation series. I think there's about five of these now, and they're a good way to get a feel for what's available in the not-quite-mainstream market.

B) Baidu has Top 500 song and hot album listings, among others. Bit more random, likely to be a bit more mainstream, but you might hit upon something you like.

Roddy