Chinese-Forums

Favourite songs that you couldn't admit to liking in public

Yang Rui

This morning my flatmate went out, leaving me alone in the flat. Once i was sure he was out of earshot, i went to my chest-of-drawers, pulled out the bottom drawer, fumbled past a half-empty bottle of vodka and several well-thumbed copies of Playboy until I found my Secret CD. I put it on, and then danced around the flat, singing and doing housework.

My Secret CD contains Chinese songs that i could not possibly admit to liking in front of my friends (especially English ones). They are mostly cheesy ballads, but i just love them and singing along to them at the top of my voice. I suppose equivalent songs in English would be Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart, or Foreigner's I Want To Know What Love Is.

Below are my top cheesy Chinese ballads that I love. Do any other forums members have such guilty pleasures? Please share your passions..

Mine are:

张惠妹 - 爱,永远不会消失 This is one of my all-time favourites. Not one of her most famous though

张惠妹 - 最爱的人伤我最深 A great duet

张惠妹 - 聽海 A classic

小刚 - 笔记本 You can almost feel the emotion oozing out of your speakers

肖亚轩 - 一个人的精彩 I think this is the Chinese "I Will Survive"

周杰伦and 温岚 - 屋顶

Andy Lau - 男人哭吧不是罪

阿杜 - 他一定很爱你 Great guitar solo provides ample air-guitar opportunities

(sh)

I suppose equivalent songs in English would be Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart, or Foreigner's I Want To Know What Love Is.

I love them. I even have the single of Total Eclipse of the Heart. :mrgreen:

BTW, do you think I can sell such albums for a good price?

I love the song [POP=Dong3 Ni3 Understand You]"懂你”[/POP] sung by 满文军。 I thing it's from a movie where one of the lovers dies of an illness because in the video there are these images from a movie. Never seen the movie.

I don't know if the song is cheesy or not, but whenever I tell a 20 something Chinese friend that I like that song, they laugh and tell me that their mother likes it - this has happened twice. :oops: Is it an old song that someone remade? Anyway, even though I'm only 31 I love that song. I also love 为爱痴狂 sung by 刘若英, which sounds a little old-fashioned. Since I was reminded of it by writing this I had to hear it again and I'm listening to it now.

Speaking of old songs, I really like the melody and the singer's voice in the song that Andy Lau keeps on listening to in Infernal Affairs. Someone told me it's called 已被遗忘的回忆 or 梦想, and I tried different combinations of that but couldn't find it on Baidu. I don't know the words but from the title and melody it sounds a little sad. If you know what it's called and/or who sings it please tell me

I also like the "Without you I'm just a little Fish" song that Ren Xian Qi sings, which is pretty cheesy. None of those "I'm a little bird" or "I'm a little fish" songs translate very well into English, so it's especially embarrassing explaining the lyrics to foreign friends. I suppose they're not as cheesy and sentimental in Chinese.