Chinese-Forums

How big is metal in China?

HairyPotter

How big is the metalscene in China? Theres probably fans of the biggest bands there, but are bands like Masterlast, Loch Vostok, Eidolon or Tokyo Dragons know over there?

Are there alot of chines bands, and if so, how big are they? Can they live of their music?

I consider 夜叉 (Yaksa) to be a metal band. They are pretty famous, and have fans in Japan.

Another great band is 瘦人 (Thinman), not really metal, more like heavy rock.

I don't think the Chinese market can generate enough royalty revenues from (legit) CD sales for these bands, I think they depend more on other sources of income, like gig fees.

There are a lot of Metallica fans in China, also lots of electric guitar fiends and fans. There's definitely limited exposure to a variety of lesser known and/or non mainstream metal bands. People with metal bands can just make money doing gigs, and probably support themselves working in a musical instrument store and giving lessons. I have an electric guitarist friend in Kunming with a metal band (think they do more covers than originals) that does this.

Thanks for the replies!

I guess the scene in China is developing fast? Could you see a industrial metal band like Masterlast blowing up over there, or maybe more 70's rock bands like Cactus? Or does it have to be an already know band (like Metallica)... I guess what Im sayin is, are there room for new bands yet?

Masterlast:

Cactus:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G1R4AC/102-2560695-9841724?v=glance&n=5174

• 2 months later...